155 years in the making
Lind Medical School/University an affiliate of Mercy Hospital purchases their first medical school building at State Street and 22nd Street.
Wesley Memorial Hospital’s charter is granted and opens at 24th Street and Dearborn Street.
Quinn Chapel AME, Chicago’s oldest African American congregation with a long history of activism, purchases land at 24th Street and Wabash Avenue. The parish moves into the current church the following year.
22nd Street Green Line “L” Station Opens at 12 E. Cermak Rd.
Medical School becomes Northwestern University Medical School
Northwestern University Medical School Moves to Chicago Avenue and Lake Shore Drive
Harold Ickes Homes Opens. The 11-building, 1,006-unit development designed by prominent Chicago-based architectural firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill Opens.
Cermak-Chinatown Red Line “L” Station Opens.
22nd Street Green Line “L” at 12 E. Cermak Rd. Station Closes due to low ridership.
Harold Ickes Homes is demolished.
Planning for the 22nd Street McCormick Place “L” at 12 E. Cermak Rd. begins and opens in February 2015.
The Community Builders & McCaffery Interests are Selected as the Master Developer for Southbridge.
- Arey, Leslie B. History: Feinberg School of Medicine: Northwestern University, www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/about/history/.
2. “Chicago ‘L’ Stations.” Chicago ”L”.org: Stations, www.chicago-l.org/stations/cermak.html.
3. “Harold Ickes Homes.” Chicago Gang History, chicagoganghistory.com/housing-project/harold-ickes-homes/.
4. “Medical – Schools.” Chicago History In Postcards, chicagopc.info/medical/medical-schools/.
5. “Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps : Illinois.” Teaneck, NJ : Chadwyck-Healey, 1896, Print.”
6. “Chicago History Museum, ICHi-007019; J. Sherwin Murphy, photographer”